Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 9 with the flu :(

Hello all! I can't believe I've already completed my 9th week here in Spain. It's crazy how fast it has been going. SPOILER ALERT:::Unfortunately, my week wasn't so good. This blog isn't the happiest of blogs.

Wednesday morning both Annie and I woke up with our stomachs feeling very queasy. We thought it had something to do with the large amounts of fried food we have been eating recently. Spain is famosa for their fried food and seriously I feel like everything is fried. It starts to get to you sometimes when all you want is an oven baked chicken or turkey and a salad (which I haven't had yet). Anyways, other than feeling sick, I assumed I was fine and went to my favorite class, Women's Writers, where we got back our midterms from last week and began to discuss the book that we have finished reading (I've read a whole 250 page spanish book!). During class I started feeling hot and faint, so went outside of the classroom for some fresh air. We have to keep the windows closed because construction is going on outside of our building and it's really hard to understand with extra background noise. Anyways, I went to the bathroom thinking I was going to get sick, but luckily didn't. After class I wasn't able to go to my cine class and didn't think I could even walk home, so took the metro home and then, without eating lunch just took a nap. I woke up from the nap feeling better and determined to do so because I had a huge midterm on Thursday. (My 3 cultures history class is very very in depth. Our study guide had 40 possible multiple choice questions and 10 possible essay questions, of which only 3 multiple choice would be on there and 1 essay). After waking up from my nap and watching Glee with Annie, I headed to a local cafe and got tea con leche (my new favorite drink) and sat down to study. Well, while I was studying I once again was overcome with that awful feeling I know you all know what I'm talking about. The hot, faint-like feeling where you don't even want to move. Well, to say the least, I got sick in the bathroom of Cafe Indias, and automatically went home, where I got sick some more.

I went to bed that night without eating at 9pm and didn't wake up the next day until 10am (which the only reason I woke up was because I had to study for my test that I had at 3pm). Once I felt strong enough to go outside, I walked to the farmacia to see if they had any kind of medicine like pepto bismal. Well, after a lot of explaining what was wrong, the farmacista finally gave me some medicine, that made me feel a little better for the test. The test actually went well, and I was able to go to my fonetica y fonologia class as well (which is the most boring class of my life!...I'll write more about that in another blog). I came home from class around 730 feeling much better and Celia made me some soup and gave me an apple (which you have to eat without the skin when you have a stomachache....she kept laughing at me because I obviously don't know how to peel an apple. I told her I never have any practice because my dad always does it for me. I didn't know how to say I am a daddy's girl in Spanish to explain why though :))

Friday I woke up feeling better and ate some bread for breakfast. Since I was sick, I was kind of hoping we'd eat something healthy for lunch. Well we had hotdogs, that are cooked in the ..you guessed it...frying pan, with Spain's overbubbling excess of olive oil. That didn't make me feel the best, but I didn't want to sit in all day, when it had finally stopped raining and I was going to meet my friends to go lay out in the park. After laying out in the sun all day, I came home not feeling so good and tried to bed early since I was going to Cadiz in the early morning. However, I forgot the boilers played at 1230am our time, so I had to watch them win :)

Saturday morning after a measly 5.5 hours of sleep,  I trudged down to the meeting place to go to Cadiz. I wasn't feeling too great, but who would want to pass up a day at the beach when it was supposed to be nice enough to wear your bathing suit?! Cadiz is only an hour away, and our guides were taking us there to learn a little bit about the city (it's the oldest European city) and to enjoy the beach. Here are some pictures that I took of our tour.

The water was as blue as the sky
Cadiz is surrounded on 3 sides by the ocean 

The city had gorgeous parks right on the ocean

One of the many beaches. It's just picture perfect 
Looking out from a tower we climbed up


 Towards the end of our tour, when it started getting hot, and I was able to wear my sundress without my sweater and still be hot, I started feeling awful again. Being sick is the worst when you have no where to go feel better. All I wanted to do was be laying in air conditioning in bed, but I was stuck following our guide around the city. Finally, around 130pm, we were left to go have free time until 430. We went straight to the beach, threw on our bathing suits, and put our toes in the sand.  I figured I'd be fine just laying down and not doing anything, but boy was I wrong. After 5 minutes of laying in the sweltering heat, I thought I was going to pass out and couldn't even get up to go get sick, so I had to get sick in a bag. I know this may be a little too discriptive for those of you with weak stomachs, but I was seriously miserable and so upset. All I wanted to do was lay out in the gorgeous sun and enjoy the day. However, I was being a pain to my friends and had no way to go home right away. I had to go find a cafe by myself and just sip on a sprite for the next 3 hours while my friends enjoyed the day and even got to go seadooing. Its times like those when your inner child comes out and all you want is your mom. All I wanted was my mom to make me healthy food that I liked and take care of my so I could be all better and actually have enjoyed the day that I was so looking forward too. I was very upset because I just felt alone and helpless.

That night when I finally got home, Annie, my roommate made things so much better. After crying on the phone to my mom, and trying to explain through hiccups (in Spanish=dificil!) what was wrong to Laura, it was nice to have an American friend who wasn't a germaphobe, was able to understand what I was going through and could comfort me. It doesn't help that I'm a hypochondriac and was thinking something terrible was wrong with me since I haven't gotten better yet. Saturday night, the family went out and David, Annie and I were left with a pizza menu to order pizza. Well, I knew I couldn't eat pizza, so I asked if I could have a salad. I got a salad with cesaer dressing and it just tasted like heaven being able to eat something healthy with vegetables. Laura doesn't like vegetables, so Annie and I haven't eaten a salad, or broccoli, or carrots or anything in 2 months. It had been way too long.

Well, today is Sunday, and its 3pm and I haven't changed out of my pajamas. Once again, its a stunningly beautiful day, but I don't want to overdo it. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon, actually crave food, and be able to go outside and enjoy the weather. Sorry for such a depressing blog, it just hasn't been the best week of my trip so far, thats for sure! Hopefully you find me in better health the next blog I post :)

Hasta Luego,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment