Wednesday, April 27, 2011

BULL FIGHT!!

Hey all! I know I just blogged Sunday, but these past couple days have been quite busy, and I'd love to share them with you! This is our last full week of classes. I have one more class tomorrow then we're off to London and Dublin for another week long break! After that, we have have exams and Alaina comes! It's going by so quick!

Before I go to the bull fight, I wanna share pictures from Monday night. It was our friend's Attie's 21st birthday. Her parents were coming on Tuesday so we didn't do anything crazy. We went to the international beer house which was my first time visiting. It was so cool. They literally had beer from every single country and sooo many different kinds of beer. The first time I went up to the bar I asked for like 3 different types of beer and they didn't have any of them. Finally I just pointed to one and said eso! It ended up being a coconut beer. It was so good and tasted like I was on a beach!



Rated R for Gory Murder Scenes
Today my friend Brittany and I went to a bull fight! I'm really tired right now because I've been in el centro since 11am and got home at 930pm from the bull fight. However, I know that if I don't do it before I leave for my trip, I won't write with the same fever as I will write now. Today was a perfect gorgeous day for a bull fight and I have some great pictures!

I never knew exactly how a bull fight worked or that there was actually an order to the bull fight.  I'll give you the inside scoop. So there are 6 bulls and 6 matadores (killers in spanish). One bull comes out at a time. The first bull comes out with something already stabbed in its back. The 6 matadores tempt it with their bright pink capes  for a little bit and try to wear the bull out. Then, 2 blindfolded horses, with lots of padding are ridden out and the guy on top baits the bull to charge at the horse. When the bull charges, the horse rider stabs the bull with a spear! (I couldn't believe how calm the horses remained, even though the bull was ramming itself into the horse multiple times). The bull must be stabbed twice by the man on the horse until the next stage begins. Now, it is 3 of the matadores jobs to stab the bull with these mini spears they have. Once the bull is stabbed around 6 times, it is finally time to kill it. This is when one of the six matadores comes out with a red cape instead of bright pink. Beneath the cape is a long silver sharp sword, which he will use to kill the bull right behind the next. Hopefully these videos and pictures will help you understand. :)

Me in the arena!

The opening ceremony. The only reason I'm showing you this picture if for the horses on the left. This is what they wear as protection from the sharp bull horns that ram into them. I still don't know how they just stand there and take the beating?

The 6 matadores

A matador with a red cape. You can also see the spears that are sticking out of his back.

Dead bull :( 

3 horses came out and dragged it underneath the arena.


I know what you all are thinking. How can Lauren actually be excited about them killing helpless bulls? Ok, let's get this straight. In the beginning I was SOO nervous to go. I am an animal lover, trust. During the first bull fight, I was squeezing Brittany's arm so tight and had my other hand over my face to be prepared to cover it as soon as it looked like they were going to stab the bull. I still was never able to see them kill the bull. In the last video that I posted, you can see my camera freak out towards the end because I thought I was going to see him kill the bull because I would never watch that for fun.  Sometimes it was really gory and I couldn't even watch after they stabbed the bull to kill it because blood would be coming out of its mouth, which was really sad. However, however, I am really really glad that I went. When most people think of Spain, this is what they think of. It was everything your mind plays it up to be when you think about Spain, and Sevilla in particular. From the dazzling outfits of the matadors to the "Ole's!" in being shouted throughout the stadium, I was definitely able to experience a part of Spanish tradition today and am so so very happy I did. It is not something I would love to do everyday (bull fighting season starts Easter and happens everyday until the end of Feria and then like once a week until September), but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially when I kept reminding myself that for Spain, this is a form of "art" and is not considered animal cruelty. To the Spaniards, they raise the bulls just like farmers raise pigs, to kill them then eat them. Although I disagree with how they torture them before they kill them then eat them, I still understand why for Spaniards, it's not a horrible thing.
For those of you with a strong stomach and who would love to experience a Spanish tradition then I would
highly recommend it!

Ok, now you may rest your tired reading eyes for a week until I get back from my trip and will have lots of more posts! Get excited!

Hasta Luego,

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment