Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Countdown Begins

Thanks to my former roommate, Abby W (hey ab!) I have been convinced to write a blog about all of my adventures in Europe and Spain for this coming semester. When I told my mom I was going to start blogging tonight, she asked why I was starting early and not waiting until I got over there. Well, once again I'm taking some of Abby's advice and letting you guys get some insight into the entire trip, including the before during and after reflections.
I don't have much to write about for the "before reflection", but I just thought I would keep everyone updated on my feelings and preparations for the trip. First off, I am soo soo soo excited to go! Everytime I think about Spain I get all these excited little butterflies in my stomach. In fact, I am so excited that I started packing last night. Yes, that is 12 days before the trip, but I just am too excited to postpone my preparations any longer. When I was planning for the trip throughout this past semester, I was always so excited but it never really hit me that I was actually going to be in a foreign country away from all of my friends and family for a whole semester. I kept telling myself that the nerves would come once it got closer. Luckily,  I am only nervous about 3 things. (1) Packing. I am stressing out that I won't be able to fit all of my clothes/shoes/etc for 5 entire months into 2 small suitcases. (2) Changing flights. I haven't flown since my 8th grade class field trip when we flew to NYC. Now I have to be a big girl and make 2 flight changes in NYC and Madrid. I'm scared that I'm not going to know where to go and I'm not going to be able to get me and my luggage to the right places. (3) I am nervous about the language barrier. I am scared that I won't be able to reach my goal of becoming fluent.... Also, the good thing about those 3 problems I may have is that everyone has gone through them. Especially my last fear of the language barrier. I keep telling myself that if anyone can do it, I can too!
So there you go. You now have had access to all of my feelings about the trip and will be exposed to many more throughout the semester. Before I go, I'd like to throw out a thanks to Jared and Katie for getting me the first class flight from NYC to Madrid :) As promised, I will take detailed notes and pictures from the plane ride and will post some of them later this month!

Hasta Luego,

Lauren

1 comment:

  1. girl this is super exciting!! :) you are going to have a blast! ... oh, and first class flights = amazing. haha

    ReplyDelete